View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 06:20 AM   #4

LOL (the bucket of parts comment). I thought nearly the same thing as this engine has been breaking in. It's nerve-wracking.

Yeah. Outside of the one minor adjustment (where the exhaust side was out only by .001), I've check them several times, & each time they're in spec; .05mm / or .002 (as I'm used to seeing it). I guess it's just a "tappy-happy" engine. I just have to get used to the extra loud sound (at least, louder than other bikes I've ridden).

It just strikes me odd that they would be quieter on a cold start. I thought the valves tightened up the warmer the engine got, as opposed to louder. I have considered the possibility of the oil being "thicker" when cold, so it quietens them, but I dunno. I guess if anything comes out of this, I'll more than likely be checking them more often (to be sure) for the first few thousand miles, as opposed to every 2nd-3rd oil change as I have in other bikes. As for earplugs, it isn't THAT loud (lol). I can get used to it once my brain accepts the tapping as a "normal sound" for this engine.