View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Sadly, comparing 2 and 4 strokes often means you can't compare displacement directly. For obvious reasons, the performance of a 4 stroke to match a 2 stroke, generally needs about double the displacement. Even that isn't a good analog, but generally true.

The "Power for having fun" in the 4 stroke world is a 450cc bike, hands down. This gets you the similar power figures to a 250 4 stroke.

That still doesn't alter how the power is delivered, which will always be different.

Where 4 strokes tend to shine, especially in the last 10-15 years, is longevity/maintenance intervals. That and when comparing carbureted versions, being a lot less sensitive to jetting and climate changes.
Indeed we can't compare displacement directly, but if i have to choose between a YZ250 or a CRF450R, i'm going for the YZ250.
For pure off road, it's hard to beat a 2 Stroke when it comes to fun factor.
I just love too much that feeling when you give throttle to a 2T. That push is just great.
Honda should stop with the tantrum and bring back the CR, they tried to beat the 2T with a 4T they lost... Just make a lot of people happy and bring back the CR series.

About the longevity/maintenance intervals. Yes the 4 Stroke wins 99% of the time...
With the 2 Stroke there is always something to fix. Most of my friends can't get more than 80 hours from ANY brand and they don't ride that hard.
In fact my 2 Stroke is gathering dust because i got a bit tired of fixing something or rebuilding the top end.