View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSlidz View Post
Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies all - gave me a lot to think about!

Yea - 70MPH on a <300lb bike is not much fun on so many levels. Nice to be able to do 70MPH though.

re: OT - so what I gather so far is there isn't anything between the <2K air-cooled 'Hawks' and those >$4K w/NC250 based-engines?

It's amazing to see what you can get (EFI?) for $2K - however but the frame / swingarms / suspension don't seem to be built for hard riding. The engine looks kind of anemic / old school as well. Are these 4-valve, counter-balanced? Someone said these are Suzuki motors?

Does any know what the NC250 is based off of. It seems most all CCP engines are copies of something...
If you look into the Pitster Pro site, they have three versions of the XTR 250--one has 21/18 wheels, another has 19/16 wheels, and a third has 17/17 wheels. All have full street lighting and all are in the high-$2k to low $3k range. Worth a look. Another bike is from a high-quality company called Kayo (Kayo might be the OEM for Pitster Pro or at least some of their bikes). I cannot link to Pitster's site because it doesn't get through my work's firewall, but Kayo's site does come through. I do feel they are pushing the MSRP price on this bike at $3500, but it is a high-quality machine. One feature not found on other bikes is a 6-speed transmission. https://www.ridekayo.com/t4-250

As far as a $2k machine, check out the Orion RXB 250L. Probably the best value and even uses an actual 249cc engine (vs. the Pitster and Kayo 230cc engines). Personally, this is the bike I would get out of the higher-end ones you mentioned in your first post above, and others mentioned. https://www.orionpowersports.com/ori...embled-tested/

The NC250 is Honda-ish based. Most every engine is a Honda-ish or cloned engine. There happens to be one Suzuki-clone, the SSR XF250 dual-sport, which uses a clone of the Suzuki TU250 engine but except has a carb vs. the TU's fuel-injection. Member dh owns one and is our resident expert on the beast. He commutes on his a few times a week from the so-called 'inland empire' outside Los Angeles to downtown Los Angeles (one of two Chinese dual-sports CARB certified for California) a distance of 70 or so miles each way. Their MSRP is around $3200, and might be worth look as well.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Last edited by culcune; 01-19-2021 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Add information