Thread: 2021 Hawk DLX
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #11

Gimpster, I bought the Hawk for just about the same reason you did. I was about 3 days away from buying a Versys-X 300 when I started thinking about how many miles I would actually be putting on the thing, especially because I have three road bikes in the garage. I decided to 'cheap out', and have been pleasantly surprised. I did change the sprockets to 17/44 and added a cheap windshield and hand guards (mostly for the wind protection). I will ride the bike all winter and ride in temperatures as low as 37 or 38. Anything colder than that and I get nervous about ice on the road. I haven't experienced any backfiring at all.

I also noticed the brake pad sweep on the disc. Mine looks to be about 70% of the disc, with the sweep going to past the outside edge of the disc. I haven't taken the caliper off yet to look at it to see if the whole pad is contacting the disc. I did change the front brake hose to a stainless braided one and it seems to work much better. This may be due to the pads bedding in and the fact that I bled the brakes quite a bit when I changed the hose. I'll probably go with better pads soon.

I'm reading up on the EFI system and will be looking at the HUD ECU Hacker software this winter.