View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #4

First of all, welcome ... not that I've been registered a long time. I've used this site as a resource for years though, back when I had a TaoTao Hellcat. Finally just had a reason to post and share some stuff.

I figured I'd reply to you here re: why I might go Speeduino for all to see. It really has no bearing on the Delphi ECU efforts. I just wanted to see what was possible with the Delphi ECU before going off half cocked.

Can the Delphi ECU run your bike? The answer is a resounding yes, the issue (in my eyes, and this is common in ECU tuning) is the tools and availability defining the calibration. Ultimately the Delphi ECU is like any other computer, its only as good as the software on it and supporting it.

BitEdit is a big unknown right now to me, since nobody I've asked (I am on a BitEdit group on Facebook) has been willing to show me any available maps on the Hawk's bin. I emailed BitEdit and their response simply was '"we support this bin" and wouldn't give me a map list. It's not a ton of money, but I find it obnoxious to have to buy a physical dongle, a license AND the app phones home (internet required) without even knowing what I can / can't do with it.

The folks on the Facebook group, rightly to be fair, realized I kinda know what I'm doing and don't want to "spill the beans" or watch me create my own calibration definitions with TunerPro. I get it, whatever... the commercial tuning world is very fickle in that way. From what I can tell, MT05.x tuning is quite prevalent in the developing world where you find more bikes using this ECU.

The other huge factor, that honestly I was reminded of when I dumped the .bin on my bike, is this thing operated at 10400 baud which is....... not optimal in the year 2020. Imagine trying to do a dyno session and waiting 10-15 minutes for every write?

Going to a Speeduino (or even say a MicroSquirt based ECU) would make live tuning possible, updates in seconds, bluetooth... and on and on. I would likely also convert the bike to some sort of modern stick coil too at the same time.

The hard parts all been done for EFI on the bike (fuel system specifically), so I feel like I don't have much to lose.

If you are curious, I am specifically consdiering putting on a "NO2C" variant of Speeduno:

https://wtmtronics.com/product/no2c-v0-2-x/

Its just a small shield that has 2 injector and 2 ignition output, .. super simple. I have used TunerStudio on a number of project with MegaSquirt, so for me.. the learning curve is nil.

In short: I am concerned about throwing money at a (literal in this case) black box.

My Hawk DLX info page: https://www.ecimulti.org/hawk250