View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Thank you very much for the reply you answered all my questions and sounds good. That's an excellent idea about the fuel petcock I'm defiantly going to install one.

Any suggestions on what grade and brand oil I should use? Do I need to change a oil filter also? Also how much oil does the Boom Vader take?

I know exactly what you mean about changing more than one thing at a time, I unfortunately did that before with my BMW it makes troubleshooting things a lot more difficult. Thanks again for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Any 10w-40 motorcycle oil or Shell Rotella T4 15w-40. No filter. The engine has a oil spinner which needs to be cleaned every 8k miles or so. It uses just under a quart.
There's also a small flat oil filter screen near the bottom of the case on the right side.

I'd probably clean that out after a few hundred miles at your second oil change. I'd expect some clutch material build up in there after break in. After that, probably just clean it every 1000 or 3000 miles.

I use Rotella T4 15w40 in my Ninja 250, Hawk 250, Vader 125, and my Yamaha XS850. As long as it's JASO MA, SF/SG grade.. .not energy-conserving, you'll be fine.

The Vader uses about 850-900ml. Just under a qt. I drained the "oil" that came in it, which didn't look bad at all and may have actually been real engine oil; and I drained out 850ml. So I put 850ml of my oil back in before first start up.