View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 01:51 AM   #30

I get most of my oil for free, so that leaves me room for experimentation.

I was running Gulf 15w40 bulk in the bike since break in. Overall, it wasn't bad but seemed to really start to lose performance after about 250-300 miles. Usually noticeable in the way it shifts (or doesn't). As it's gotten cooler, I switched to 5w40 T6, and the shifting smoothness really took a hit and it seems like across the board, hot or cold. I will go back to a 15w40.

Here's the rub, though. I had gotten a bottle of the new Rotella 15w40 T6 back in August. Instead of "wasting" it on the Hondoid, I used it in my V-Star 1300. These bikes are known for being buttery smooth and quiet *all* the time. I promptly took off and put 2100 miles on it in a week on a tour of New England. The oil now has 2600 miles and still feels like the day I replaced it. The Bel Ray conventional I was using before usually started to feel worn after 1000 or so. The feel is so good on this 15w40 T6, I'm considering doing a UOA just to see where it's at. I'd almost feel comfortable with a filter change and a top off if I was a little less blessed with free motor oil!

So, my 2 cents worth. This CG engine is basic, it's internally sloppy by design, and only in the most extreme cold or cold take-off situations do I feel a 5w would be of any benefit. It gets the oil moving quickly, and has very little to restrict it's flow as there is no filter. I'm ready to ditch the 5w in the bike now and just switch to 15w40 T6 across the board in all of my bikes, all seasons.

A good 15w40 oil (not the Gulf junk I have) will serve you quite well. Synthetic or conventional. Your choice. Synthetic will just be a little better, for the well established and tested reasons that synthetic is always better. At about $22 a gallon, you get 4 oil changes. That's pretty damn cheap, too. Conventional being even cheaper. Wally World is your friend.