View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyTBR7 View Post
I live in New Jersey. The Hawk is a no go of any kind.

I successfully registered a Tao Tao TBR7 in September 2020 with zero issues.

Agreed, they are strict to adhering to the motorcycle manufacturer list. If the first three digits of the bike's VIN are on the list, you are good. Else, no.

Contact the reseller for the first three digits of a VIN on a bike they sell to check. Very simple.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehi...ufacturers.pdf
for you new jersey guys out there, I just got back from Turnersville MVC who was able to transfer everything over. I got the bike a year and a half ago and registered it in VT initially just to save myself the time, since at the time it was unclear whether or not the carbed hawk 250 is street legal in NJ. Most vendors say that it is not legal in NJ. Furthermore, VIN "L0W" is not on NJ's list of approved manufacturers. EFI hawk is obviously no problem since it has a different VIN.

But anyway, despite conflicting information online, I can confirm that the 2018 Hawk 250 can be titled and registered in NJ.

So, I effectively "washed" the paperwork through VT dmv which might be why it worked. They registered it as a HAO make and CYL model, which was consistent with the VT reg. A friend from the Hawk 250 owners group on facebook registered his at the same location fresh from the MCO document, as a Hawk(make) 250(model). So its possible that the rules have changed, maybe some Covid-related ignorance, im not sure.