View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
There's a national-level law that you can have a vehicle registered in one state, and have your license and/or insurance from another. It's basically what allows snowbirds to drive their RV's all over everywhere on their Arizona licenses. The only catch is that you can't have everything from a different state; i.e. you can't have Arizona registration with a North Dakota License and insurance from Texas. Two of the three must be from the same state. I'm a personal testament to this. I have Arizona insurance and registration, but still have my GA license since it makes sense with my investment properties back there. Purely a business benefit, but there you have it.
California does not allow it. Somehow they can get away with enforcing the law, which is why you won't see Chinese bikes registered in other states riding around freely by California residents. The only two loopholes I understand are 1) distributors/dealers can street register bikes they distribute there 2) one CAN move to California and street plate an existing bike such as one of the many non-CARB Chinese dual-sports. There was a guy here from the San Francisco who mail-ordered a Lifan KPMini 150 around the time some of them WERE California legal and registered, but his was not a CARB certified model. He was actually going to drive down to Yuma where I was going to help him get an AZ title and registration ('help' as in using my address). As easy as it is to get an AZ title and registration, one does have to do it in person here, so getting to Yuma was necessary. He was going to take the risk of riding around on an AZ registered bike. I guess he could have tried to register it by mail via Vermont or South Dakota, or the other state I forgot above, Montana. I never did hear back from him. I wonder how much he would sell me his Mini...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard