View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I am not sure why we Americans always feel like we HAVE to be on interstate highways that are posted at 70, 75, or 80+ MPH to go on long motorcycle trips. There are numerous routes on 50 to 55 MPH back roads. There is an epic journey of a father/son from San Francisco who rode from San Francisco to New York City on Chinese bikes. The father was on a 125cc DAX replica and the son was on a 150cc step-through scooter. They made it with only a couple minor issues involving bolts that fell off (they were on Chinese bikes, after all ). They did it one way and flew back to San Francisco and the next summer did the opposite ride. They ended up turning it into a group ride in subsequent years divided into different classes (some people were on 50cc bikes), but they proved that one can ride on two-lane highways coast-to-coast going nowhere near interstate speeds. Going through the Rockies, there were parts where they were not exceeding 35 mph.
Is not only an US thing. Here is somewhat the same, where these single cylinder chinese motorcycle are seen as "delivery" only motorcycles.....
Even some goes as far as saying that you need at least two cylinders for the motorcycle to be highway worthy......
I think is quite silly, but everyone has different point of views...

I'm sure that the father and son had a great time doing that trip on those motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
A little variation on the theme, but interesting nonetheless: https://advrider.com/f/threads/la-to...-cscs.1453234/

It seems they had a blast. More people will eventually try to do that kind trip and they find that with a properly maintained chinese bike is quite a nice experience.
These little engines will never beat their bigger Euro and Japanese counterparts that's for sure, but hell they are fun to ride