View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

MABDR Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Routes

Anyone ever heard of these routes or done them>?
So I was trying to find a way to map enjoyable motorcycle roads because google just dont cut it. If you use google avoid highways it will avoid highways but sometimes it would be better to jump on the highway for a bridge crossing ect. Searching around and just to be clear im not promoting this route or site or even recommending it but I found this site "RideBDR" and they have back country discovery routes. I wanna say my opinion is they made the route to sell maps because you can PURCHASE THE MAP and dvds ect. Seems catered to the BMW and krl 650 ect adventure bike crowd. All of the map reviews on amazon are not great so there is that. But it was a start for the route I made. You can just use google while looking at the MABDR and set your route. Im going North to South Starting at the North part of section 7 because its the expert section. Harleton, P.A. I think? Gonna finalize it later.
There are a few routes but the one I'm looking at is the Mid Atlantic BDR. It ranks as the least difficult and is passable with a 4x4 meaning its not a single track trail. It just happens to be in my area. There is an "expert"section but on youtube it looks like rough gravel roads with river crossings.
The reason I dont like the entire route is because when you look it over there are loops and zig zags. I understand that the point is to enjoy the ride and see the sights but 5 and 10 mile loops where a 500ft cut though road puts you in the same place is so counter productive. Id rather go the same distance but travel farther if that makes sense.
Thinking about trying it with the TBR7. It would be a good test for a china bike. Maybe if it survives ill start to like it. I think 250-300 miles a day is do-able idk. Ill keep this thread updated if theres any interest.