View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #1

Head Scratching 250cc commando atv NO SPARK!?

Hey all, I have a 250cc liquid cooled atv with no spark. I checked the ground at the coil and it's fine. There are 2 other wires that are connected to the coil.

I believe this atv has a DC CDI. It is double the size of the AC cdi boxes I've seen. It has a blue 6 pin connector housing with 5 leads inside. It does not have 2 separate connectors the the AC ones it just has one big blue plastic connector.

I believe the Stator and the CDI are working fine based on the voltage I pick up at the two wires supplying the ignition coil.

Here are the readings I found on the two wires supplying the coil:

- Black & red wire, Contant 12.95v DC as soon as I turn the ignition on

- Black & white wire, 0.12 - 0.23v randomly AC while I'm turning the engine over ( it seems like this is a pulse wire to tell the coil when to fire.)

Since I thought these readings were correct (at least I think but please correct me if there's something wrong) I moved on to measure the ignition coil resistance.

- Resistance between the 2 hook ups on the coil for DC & AC wires: 4.2 Ohms

Resistance from either the hook up (didn't seem to matter which one) to the spark plug boot: 20.2 K Ohms.

I thought these were within reason as well. But the ATV still will not spark.

I appreciate any help, I've been fiddling with this atv for 3 weekends now and I just want to get back on the trails.

Regards, Jack
Attached Images