View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #20

Here is the rack I made..I use Nelson-Rigg soft panniers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitcoinDood View Post
I ordered a new TT 250 last week and it should be arriving by the weekend. I'm really excited and I've already began researching how to outfit the bike with Panniers & luggage racks. So far I'll probably go with the CSC luggage rack that can be ordered from their website. I'm a bit stuck on a pannier system though.

Anyone have any suggestions on ways to outfit the tt250 with Panniers? Has anyone modified the RX3 panniers to work on the TT250? I'm not adverse to building the rack myself. Would prefer an inexpensive bolt on solution though. Would also like to add a Rotopax fuel can system to it.

I'm planning on riding the TT250 through parts of Moab Ut & Colorado and need to load up on fuel and camping gear. Any suggestions or links to Pannier rack designs would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Here is the rack I made..I use Nelson-Rigg soft panniers (27.5 Liters each). I used 3/4" EMT and specialty connectors and shrink tube from Makerpipe.com Somewhere in a Chinarider thread I have the measurements and a description of the mounting connections to the frame and passenger foot-peg (that was deleted).

Both sides are identical, but the mounting connections on the right are about 1" longer. After these photos were taken I had to move the exhaust out 3/4" so my 120/90 rear tire would clear the muffler ...so the rack had to move out too.

I am street only, as you can tell by the tires. If I were to use this rack for off-road, then I will drill and cotter-pin the connectors; as they are technically friction fit. However, in 700 miles of pot-holey Denver streets the rack is still completely tight. The shrink-tube provides quite a bit of sticky grip when you tighten down the connectors all the way.

The last photo is a grocery run with the panniers fully un-folded for maximum capacity. I had 50 lbs of groceries...in what I figure was about 40 Liters per side.

The nice thing about this set-up is that the rack doesn't take vertical load, because the panniers have straps that connect them under the seat. So, they are there to hold the panniers in place and keep them from sagging into toward the wheel at the bottom...like soft panniers always do.

Note that the EMT LB connectors on the rear crossover pipe were temporary to get the project done. I replaced with a couple of makerpipe connectors and endcaps later to clean things up. I just hadn't ordered enough connectors for how the design unfolded.

As far as the CSC tail rack...I would also get one if I was off-roading. It is a perfect place to put a Rotopax. I found that very much weight up high is not very good. One of my early tries at hauling stuff was putting a folding milk crate back there...the first turn fully loaded nearly yanked me over! That is why I changed out to panniers....to keep the load low. If you do want to carry even more though...a dry bag will strap right on over the top of the panniers.

Cost was about $90 for the rack and $160+shipping for the panniers.
Attached Images

Orion RXB 150XL