View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 11:45 PM   #287

So in 10k miles, I have relatively little to report. Reliability-wise, the bike has had 3 turn signals, one shifter linkage, and a fork seal replaced under warranty. I've geared it way down and put bigger, heavier wheels and tires on it. It's geared for 80mph at 8900rpm (100rpm before the rev limiter) .Additional upgrades include a free-flowing exhaust, airbox removal, K&N filter, 520 chain and sprockets, and a Barnett kevlar clutch kit with springs (so I can pop the front wheel up)

I ride it between 7000 and 8000rpm for long distances, I shift at 8500 rpm, every stop sign is treated like a drag race. The bike will do 1st gear wheelies, but I'm a little gun-shy on getting it up near the balance point. The most I do is pop the front wheel up a few inches. With a rider who doesn't weigh 260 pounds, it will probably do second gear wheelies. It really tries with me on it, but I'm just too heavy.

This is to say, I ride the HELL out of this bike. I broke it in hard and have kept riding it hard. It kept building power until about 4000 miles and then leveled off. I'm extremely happy with this bike, especially after all the mods. It's not been Japanese reliable, but it's been pretty close. It always starts, always runs, always gets me to where I'm going.

In all those miles there has been a slight hint of cam chain rattle that got louder and louder and then suddenly one day quiet again -- slack taken up by the auto tensioner no doubt. It was never particularly loud or noticeable, but having owned a lot of high mileage Honda V4s, I know the sound well. I have run the bike on 87 octane usually, and ethanol free 89 or 90 when it's late fall and I don't know how long it's going to sit up before being ridden again.

In short, I'm using the hell out of this bike, riding it balls to the walls, and treating it like a Honda or Yamaha. And it's been wonderful!

Parts availability has been one week or less to the dealership, except for a couple of months when turn signals weren't available. Everything I've needed, from o-rings and gaskets to luggage racks and seats to levers and spacers has been available. Only the turn signals had a back order in all that time.

Would I buy this bike again? Yes, in a heartbeat. If I could go back in time and change anything, I'd actually not buy my Yamaha, and buy this two years earlier instead.

Charles.