View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #23

Location: Living in SE Ohio for now. Good weather, some nice people.
Somebody else's problem now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
did not price any repairs, nor did I take it apart to see what the problem was. it could be a simple bearing replacement. chinese bearings, grease and oils are pretty lame. one thing to do for longevity is to replace all fluids and wheel bearings early in the bike's life. I rode mine pretty hard both on-road at 55 to 60 MPH, running 7500+ RPMs as well as some off-road lumps, bumps and holes. Never had problems with rims or spokes. Steering head stayed solid. broke the shift shaft off in a wreck. easy repair and parts were cheap.

wish I had more to tell you. I was in the same position as you and jumped in just to try. I was surprised that it wasn't the "junk" I expected it to be, particularly for the price. I would buy another except I'd want a larger motor. the motor screams at higher speeds I run when commuting to work. A 350 or 400 with more torque would be nicer.

Swing arm linkage bearings and bushings have been a bigger problem since the advent of the mono shock. I like the mono shock architecture, simplifies adjusting, assures equal tension side to side and, reduces weight. Must be good, they're sill being used on most bikes that benefit from those features. Gearing a bike to find a happy medium between highway and trails is pretty easy these days. Up in the front, test, down in the rear, test, back down in the front, test. More HP isn't always the answer, I got caught up in that trend and found myself riding a 650 in the dirt, not fun!
Ran a short Baja event with it, it really shined there but, learned that it's better to squeeze more HP out of what you got with fuel air and fire before turning to bigger displacement. Just one of those lessons in life that I'm glad I survived to use.

STAY CALM STAY FOCUSED STAY ALIVE.