View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #18

Commuter or off-road

Peacefullyslow says:

"Because I plan to use this as a commuter, I'm forced to buy a minimum 250cc to avoid some regional highway restrictions. So I looked at their flagship 250. While the rear brake parts still hang down below the frame, at least the front brake line doesn't loop in front of the fork like the new CSC. Bump a rock, cut a front line! Hop a log, bend the rear linkage! Really? If I can't stop it, I'd be crazy to start it."

I think it would help if Peacefullyslow decides if he is going to commute or go off-road. By choosing one or the other for the main mode helps narrow down what bike and how to set it up. I chose the CSC TT250 because I do not plan on bumping a rock or leaping a log on my way to work.

My modifications, with the exception of the eventual replacement of the knobbies with street tires (Conti Go!), do not preclude using for mild trail riding; though I never plan to do this.

As far as the highway, we don't have the 250 limit in Colorado. I don't need it for my commute, but have made a few runs to get somewhere faster. I can go about 65 at 7000 rpm, which is as fast as I would want to go on a small bike. I have the 47 tooth rear sprocket that CSC sells to increase top speed. Still has plenty of torque in lower gears for around town.

Mine is straight-up to do a city commute and I try to ride year-round with the exception of snow days. I also have added capacity to haul my regular 4 bags of groceries so I don't have to sacrifice a day riding just to go shopping. The rear rack folds up into a large "milk" crate. Here are a few of my latest photos.

Ride On!

Goob
Attached Images