View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

doggy side car ideas.

First off , Merry Xmas to all China Riders, i must say you are a great bunch of guys and girls, and i , like many many others, have benefited from the vast knowledge that is shared freely .

Well , i want to build a cheap , simple , sidecar that i can attach and disconnect from my bike ( Tao tao TBR7 ) quickly and easily. It is for my older 85lb boxer dog.

I have had him up on the bike (he sits in front of me with his front paws on the handle bars). He really enjoys it but it is difficult to pick him up without hurting him or me for that matter.

As some of you know i dented the front rim ( 19 inch chrome on a TBR 7 ) a while back that i straightened with a dead blow hammer and a spoke adjustment . The wheel is working great but i was thinking of buying a new front wheel and using my existing wheel as the side car wheel.

The side car will be low enough , with a rear entry ,for my dog to walk into either with a ramp or steps. It dawned on me the other day that a shopping cart was about the right size ( especially the slightly smaller ones at the smaller grocery stores) they already have a rear flap or opening so that was an idea.

Next is how to mount it ( or something better ie a kids car or toy or ??? , my wife suggested a sleigh ( christmas and all ). I could build some thing from scratch but maybe i could save a lot of time by using something already available.

Next on the side car would be whether to try to make suspension for the sidecar or suspend the dog carrier part or simply put in a nice thick pad ?

The idea is to just bomb around the neighborhood (20- 25 mph ) or take him up into the mountains on some dirt roads probably about the same speeds.

I see side cars used on small displacement bikes in asian countries on you tube and i can always drop the front sprocket from the currant 17 to the stock 15 but i don't really see power or more correctly torque being a problem with the cg engine.

I wanted to see if anyone had done such a thing, and how, or if they had ideas on a side car design ???

Your thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.