View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #4

In actuality they aren’t that expensive. Started being made in 1997 and was literally the car that brought Porsche back from the edge of bankruptcy, and a ton of them were sold. A person can get in to one from 4000$ and up. Sometimes cheaper when it has major probs.

They have a 6 cylinder boxer type engine and some of them indeed, do have issues. I did a lot of research to see what mine may need. The IMS bearing is a big one. Also, they had some early ones with porous engine blocks. But, over all, I think they are probably pretty reliable. They also make automatics. They are mostly all in the 70-140,000 mile range right now, as most people didn’t drive them much.

Just like VW they have wayyyy over ‘engineered’ electronics, and things like microswitches in the doors and such tend to go bad. But, for example, the door switches are actually VW/Audi. So a person can do some research and by the cheap VW part instead of the crazy expensive Porsche part. Example: door lock assembly on eBay, Porsche - 125$ or more. Same things VW - 15$. Now, I actually disassembled mine and soldered things back together because it just had broken solder welds on connectors. But that’s an example.

Another example: Porsche dealer wants 269$ (Former owner told me) for oil change. I got the exact oil (9 quarts) and a Purolator filter from Advance Auto and did it myself. It’s actually easier than most cars! Back the car up the ramp. Pull the plug, spin off the plastic cartridge, change the innards and you’re done! Super easy to reach and not expensive. 58$.

I also like how the Germans make most everything able to be taken apart. Even things like switches can be opened up and repaired. I disassembled the starter very easily and put grease in the caps, etc.

Engine bay; open top half way, unclip top at back, fold forward. Take off speaker box. Open hatch and now the engine is revealed. A similar hatch is behind the seats for belt and water pump stuff. Starter is on top of engine! Stuff like that. Rear seal or IMS (which I haven’t done but no issues yet)? Pull tranny out back, and sit under car with head in engine bay and fix.

I also found in my search that rich people are willing to dicker like crazy when it comes to selling. Every one I looked at was listed at around +7000$. But when I made a crazy low offer of 4000-4500$ they all came down to my price range very quickly. Mostly, wanted to get them out of the garage, had bought a 911, or something else along that line. Anyway, if you want a toy that the wife/gf can ride with/in, (and she also thinks the car is beautiful which helps) these are pretty cool!

I will say tho, it’s a cougar magnet so beware. Every time I’m sitting in it waiting for my wife to get something in a store, inevitably an older lady comes up and says, cute car and the proceeds to talk with me for 15 minutes... I guess my wife’s small cute dog doesn’t help the situation either... . My wife is super cute tho, so when she comes out the cougars high tail it.

Oh yeah, to get this car I sold 2 old motorcycles (maybe had 200$ parts into them but sold for 1300$) I had in Alaska, my 1999 306,000 mile TDI golf (which I’d payed 150$ for and fixed, maybe had 600$ into it. Sold for 2200$) and 2 old guns (700$). So, I’m into it probably in real money, maybe 1700$? Which ain’t bad. Still have my 2009 KLX250 in the garage and a TTR for guests to ride.
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN