View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 12:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
dh,

By the way, I have already purchased and reviewed a Haynes Service & Repair Manual, #5750 for model years ‘07 to ‘14. Is their anything in this manual that I should just over look?
Are there anymore modifications or replacement items you’d recommend for me to do?
Thanks for your help,
PCG

There are a few things that come to mind as far as upgrades for this bike go, but none are urgent or even necessary. The bike works just fine as is and I have seen several bone stock Xf250s on craigslist with high mileage.

Issues I wish my dealer had caught during assembly included low or poor quality front fork fluid and brake fluid contamination on the front rotor which soon became warped. A swing-arm chain guard came loose after purchase but otherwise no issues with loose nuts and bolts like heard of with other china bikes.

I have pulled out the manual as needed and it is very thorough. It contains a lot of info about the 125cc and 200cc in the engine and specification sections but otherwise lots of good info and it makes service very simple and low stress. I actually enjoy working on this bike a lot.

This bike will really benefit from a long break in period. It runs better and better as you put the miles on it. When the time comes, I would highly recommend replacing the stock air cleaner and muffler however. The stock air box is a pain to service and is a little restrictive. The stock muffler is a heavy piece of junk, weighs more than some car mufflers and again, very restrictive.

You may want to research the oil cooler if Highway riding is on your agenda.

The gauge cluster is useable but I wish I upgraded it sooner. It lacked a trip meter and the tach bounced around at times it was useless.

It would be great to see more Xf250 owners on here so I hope your dealer can get you one for a good price. One thing to keep in mind is that the dealer should be able to promise you a street or DS version. When I bought mine, the street version came with aluminum passenger grab handles (Which look and feel sturdy but shatter if you actually pull on them)whereas the DS includes a luggage rack. I went for the DS which currently has Shinko 700's.