View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
dh,
I’m considering purchasing a new 2018-19 SSR XF-250 motorcycle from the dealer in Paso Robles, but I know I’ll need a carburetor replacement and/or carb jet replacements, or both.
I know you have been very successful modifying the fuel system on your XF-250 bike, so I’m hopeful that you can pass along your knowledge to me so I can get a nice performing XF-250 and enjoy riding both motorcycles on road and off road.
I live in Pismo Beach about 400 feet above sea level.
Would you mind sharing what your XF-250’s comfortable cruising speed, and top speed is while cruising on paved highways?
By the way, I have already purchased and reviewed a Haynes Service & Repair Manual, #5750 for model years ‘07 to ‘14. Is their anything in this manual that I should just over look?
Are there anymore modifications or replacement items you’d recommend for me to do?
Thanks for your help,
PCG
Sorry I missed this. Regarding the carb, I still have the stock carb and I love it. It runs a bit on the lean side stock but that's because of the Air injection smog system. If you remove that and uncover the idle mixture screw you will be pretty happy. I only found modifications to the carb really necessary after making air filter or exhaust modifications. As upgrades are made, the carb can be worked on easily without removal from the bike and the carburator vacuum system can be modified slightly for more responsiveness.

I cruise right at or below 70 and 7k Rpms. Much faster than that and my DS tires like to wander into the ice grooves which is no fun. I have done extended rides at 75+ but I notice fuel economy and range really goes down.