View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #15

Yesterday I adjusted the valves, there was no clearance at all when at TDC.
I took off the intake and sprayed some carb cleaner in, and at the suggestion of a friend that used to be a bike mechanic, put a few ounces of Seafoam in the tank. He said the Seafoam would help loosen varnish in the fuel system but it would take a while.

The valve adjustment was easy, but I'm not so sure I'm up to taking the carb apart for a good cleaning.
I cleaned and waxed the chain and tightened it, and flushed the factory brake fluid out and put in some Castrol synthetic Dot 4.
And got the Storm cargo rack installed I had ordered from 4 Seasons Motorsports in Phoenix.

After the work, I fired up the bike and increased the idle and the bike kept running with the choke off, but wasn't running very smooth and wouldn't rev up above idle.
With the choke in the mid position it ran much better. I went for a short drive and it ran fine at the half choke position.

Later in the evening I went on a longer ride down the highway, and things were fine until I turned around to come back home.
Bike died when I slowed to turn, and would not start again.
I let it sit for a few minutes, and then it started and I got back home.
Pretty frustrating, as I don't trust the bike to go very far from home.
Makes me wish I hadn't sold the KLR and Yamaha XT 250.

I guess the next thing I'll try is to remove the carb and take it apart for a good cleaning.