Thread: 300cc Kit
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #471

Yes indeed. It will be a while before I get it installed, as I am leaving tomorrow on a big RX3 trip.

Yesterday I got my Benelli Dyno tuned, and I asked the tuner about the 300cc kit in the RX3. He said that the injectors would likely be plenty adequate, which is good news. I told him of reports that others have made about the stock ECU adapting, and he made a face and said "well, yeah, it'll run, but you won't get any more power up top, it'll be running lean at high RPMs.". Which makes sense, and others here have reported that the 283 kit boosts mid-range but did nothing for the top end.

So then we talked tuning devices, because - there aren't any. And he had just worked magic on my Benelli, adjusting the timing and fuel to find almost a full HP more than the camshaft designer predicted (13.87 vs. 13.00 predicted). The Benelli uses a Delphi MT05.2 ECU, and the Power Commander plugs in through one connector, no splicing or additional wiring, and it has an integrated ignition timing module all in one. I thought that the RX3 used the same ECU, so I asked DynoJet if the Benelli PC would work on the RX3. They said it sounded like it would.

Later I realized the RX3 used the MT05, not the MT05.2. same family, same connector, don't know exactly what the difference is. DynoJet won't guarantee that it will work, of course, as they haven't tested it.

I asked the tuner what he thought, and we decided to just plug it in and see if the bike starts. So I did, and it did.

So when I get back, the plan is to install the 298 kit, get a baseline run, and then put the Benelli's Power Commander on and dyno tune it. That's a few weeks away though.

In the meantime, if anyone knows what the difference is between an MT05 and an MT05.2, please share. Or, if you know of a bike that uses the MT05 and has a Power Commander V available for it, that would be excellent to know about.