View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
This ride report is classic! Thanks for an entertaining read. I have to say that your fuel mileage is a cause for concern. It is common for my RX3 to get 180 miles before the low fuel light comes on and then only take 2 gallons of fuel. Of course yours is still very low mileage so as it breaks in that will improve. If you do change sprockets I'd recommend changing the chain at the same time. The OEM chain is less than stellar (it is "O" ring, just not a high quality chain). I have the Seat Concepts seat and it made a huge difference.

Peter Y.
I agree, this was a very enjoyable and useful read.

Concerning the fuel mileage, I think it was just a combination of a brand new engine, not broke in, and a whole lot of wide open throttle. Nothing kills mileage faster than that.

For the seat, I too have the Seat Concepts seat and recommend it. One thing to bear in mind regarding it however, is that the foam is firmer than stock, which is a good thing; the OEM foam literally puts you on the seat pan, but the Seat Concept seat also raises you up about an inch higher into the slipstream. I noticed this immediately after fitting mine and ended up buying one of those windscreen extenders that they sell on Amazon for about $30 US. This helps throw the turbulent air from the windscreen up over my helmet, cutting down on the wind noise, which even with earplugs, was bothersome to me. It also had the added benefit of greatly reducing the amount of bugs that were able to reach my helmet visor in the summer time.

In regards to the drive chain, describing it as less than stellar is being charitable, I think. When a manufacturer's rep shows up to a 5000 mile promo ride with a spare, you may have a problem (according to a Chinese owner, this defect has been corrected on the incoming RX4).