View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDog View Post
I have no experience with the RX3 (yet) but I do have quite a bit of experience with big bore kits, and my advice is don't. The bottom end and transmission were not designed for more power. More power equals more stress on engine parts. In every case where I have installed a big bore kit, it has noticeably shortened the life of the engine, decreased reliability, and in some cases broken the engine. I gave up. My feeling now is if you need more power, get a bigger bike where the whole engine and transmission is designed to handle the power it makes.
I agree entirely; I'm just frustrated in that there isn't a bigger-engined bike that I can fit on, for anywhere near the price. The only other ADV bikes my stumpy legs can comfortably accommodate are the Triumph XRX Low and the BMW F750GS (with low suspension and low seat). Both are ~$14,000. The Himalayan is fairly low, affordable, and has a 411cc engine and lots more torque, but it's actually slower on the highway than the RX3 is(!) A Versys 400 would probably be perfect, but doesn't exist (at least not yet). And everything else is just too high, with astronomical seat heights. Ah, the curse of having short legs...

So now I have to figure if I can live with the 250 as-is, or improve the power somewhat with the 283cc or 298cc kit, while I wait to see what the RX4 brings, or the eventual Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 that's been discussed, or if KTM will bring the 390 Adventure to the USA, or if Kawasaki will make a 400 Versys.

The RX3 is very good for the price, it just needs more go.