View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #10

Use The Foot Pegs

I'm 15-20 years younger than you lot of "geezers", with a 29" inseam and I have never thrown my leg over a bike. I always use the foot pegs, even on my Gold Wing. I don't see the point in the gymnastics necessary, especially with anything over 30" in seat height. Throw in a top box and side cases, and it becomes damn near impossible to get your legs over all of that. I have no problems mounting and dismounting the bike from either side using the foot pegs. If you are really worried about the side stand mount breaking, use the right side foot peg to get on and off the the bike. That will keep the weight off of the side stand and help lever the bike up off said stand at the same time when you are getting on it. Having said that, the RX3 side stand mount is pretty beefy, unlike the BMW G 310 GS, which is under recall for that particular issue. With gear, I'm in the 200-210 lb department and have not had any problems with my RX3's side stand bearing the weight.

Using the foot pegs will probably take a little practice on your part, since you are not used too doing it, but it is a worthwhile investment of time on your part if it keeps you on the bike that takes you where you want to ride, be it a XT225 or a RX3.