View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses!

Quote:
I switched to the metal reusable one and loved it. In the long run it'll save you money ....IMO
Interesting; I'll look for more reports on that. My immediate concern was trying to find one in stock somewhere so I could change it before starting the 1335-mile trip home; so far I haven't found the metal one anywhere although (see below) I have resolved the issue for now.

Quote:
1. Oil is cheap. I'd change it unless you are convinced the PO already did so. The filters are not compatible with anything I have found locally. I bought a bunch from CSC.
I definitely plan on changing the oil when picking it up; my biggest concern was in finding an oil filter. Fortunately CSC agreed to ship one to an unaffiliated dealer that will be on my route home, so I can change it properly in the parking lot! Kudos to Rio Grande Motosports for agreeing to receive the package and hold it for me.

As for "riding the bike first", I totally understand, and the trip home alone is going to be 1,335 miles, so yes I'll know the bike pretty well by then. I agree about changing the chain with the sprockets, most definitely.

Quote:
The engine does not generate much oomph until it hits about 4K rpm. You can gear the bike so that 4-7K range is anywhere you want it. You will trade between torque at low speed or at high speed, your choice. You cannot have both.
Understood. For reference, I have a Harley with an 1868cc engine that has diesel truck-style torque over the entire powerband, and a Benelli TNT135 that has pretty much zero torque anywhere. I am expecting the RX3 to be much more like the Benelli. What I have found on the Benelli is that the stock bike can't come close to pulling redline in top gear. Because of that, it pretty much makes sense to go to a 1-tooth smaller sprocket on the small engine, because you won't be giving up any actual top-end speed (although the engine will run higher RPM at any speed). If the RX3 is the same way, and knowing that I'll want low-end torque for hill climbing, Spud's 13/46 seemed to make sense. But yes, I'll give it a good long run-in before actually changing the sprockets.

Mainly I'm going to be ordering oil filters in bulk from CSC, and if I put the sprockets on there it gets me close to the $100 for free shipping, so I'm basically asking "why not"?

Quote:
My front wheel is a 19" (as found on the 2018 bikes?) and the speedo is fairly close to reality.
As for the speedo, I used a GPS to calculate the speed overrun on my Benelli, and it was about 12% in error, and I read here where Spud found the RX3 to be about 13% in error or so. But IINM, Spud's front wheel was 18". Maybe the speedo is much more accurate with the 19" as you say, and this is effectively a non-issue! I *think* the 2018 has the 19" wheel stock... not sure...

Glad to hear the report on overheating. I lived in coastal NC and the summers were oppressively hot, and I'm in Texas now which is even hotter, but it's more of a humidity heat than it is truly high temperatures (like 117+ in Vegas/Arizona, vs. about 102 here) so maybe it's not anything to worry about.