View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

TBR7 upgrades and problems

Just wanted to touch bases on my TBR7. First off i live at 600ft and am riding @ 6000- 8000 ft so pretty high. Bike shows 480 miles but the odometer over reads big time and it's a lot closer to KM so i would say closer to 300 miles.

I've been riding on the bone stock carb up until now and even at these elevations she is running lean, actually runs crisper and idles better at 8000 ft.

So i pulled my mikuni (clone?) apart and changed the main jet from the factory 100 to a 105 as a guy i met a while back had told me that was what he was running on his hawk in this area ( also got me looking at these china bikes). pilot jet was a #20 and air screw was out 1 1/4 turns stock. i left the needle clip in the center position and took off my original carb and fitted the VM26.

I turned out the air fuel screw another 1/4 turn for a good idle ( now @1 1/2 turns) .

Bike is running much better and smoother . So if this helps when i rode from my house up to the town of Pinos Altos its a 6 mile run with an elevation gain of 1000 ft. With the stock carb i could barely do the speed limit (45 and 50) and the last stretch is very steep ( maybe 8% ?) at which time i'm down to 4 th gear and can barely hold 35.

After carb change it just cruises up the hill at posted speed limits with throttle to spare and the last stretch 40 mph in 5th but opening the throttle all the way does not change the speed.

Right, yesterday i changed out the main jet to a 108 and the bike is better, speed limit no problem and the last stretch 45 mph and when i opened the throttle the bike started to accelerate( be it slowly). i'm going to call this good for now.

Info to consider:
gearing change from 15/46 to 17/46.
Bone stock intake system and filter.
Bone stock exhast including cat and muffler.
TBR's come with more street type tires than hawks.(17r/19f).

So problems so far, Speedo is not accurate and odo is closer to km than miles.

I've been riding on some really rocky and rough terrain and the bike is pretty tough in my opinion and i think the 17/19 rim combo makes them more durable than the hawks (shorter spokes ?). But i have now blown the factory rear shock, it is now a spring on a stick with zero damping.

I weigh 180 so with my gear on i'll say 200 ready to ride. I'm not moto-xing or jumping but certainly carrying some speed over rough terrain to keep up momentum for some of the very steep washed out trails i'm riding on.

I've lost the high beam on the headlight bulb (still have low beam) and my back running light is dead but i still have the rear brake light. I was going to upgrade to led's anyway.

Fuel cap leaks out the top when tank is full so i'll see if i can do something about that.

Will remove the rear shock assy to see how long it is and get a replacement.

So some pictures and video. Coming up.