View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #1

Help with Tire Sizes for Apollo DB36 Deluxe

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for some help with tires and tire sizes. I took the Apollo out on the road today; mostly around town. I don't think my tires feel "right". I'm mostly referring to the front tire. The best I can explain it...the front tire has not seemed 100% round or true since the day I took it out of the crate. For example, when I spin the front tire, I see a "lump" or a "high spot". I should see a perfectly round tire spinning with no obvious "high" spots. However, I can see a "high" spot and it doesn't seem true or perfectly round. And, I feel like I can feel this on the road; it sort of feels like running on an unbalanced tire. It just has never really felt right. Either way, I don't like it and to make me feel better about the bike (and riding it), I want to replace the tires. I don't have this problem riding the Magna. That has new tires and I trust that bike more.

The problem is that when I search for tires in the size that's on my bike, I find mostly street tires. I'm having a very hard time finding dual sport or even dirt bike tires for this bike. This bike must have tires that are a wonky size. Here is what is currently on the bike:

Front Tire: 100/80/17

Front Rim: J17 x MT2.50

Rear: 130/70/17

Rear Rim: J17 x MT3.00

*Note, that the plate on the frame says that the front tire should be a 110/80/17. So, I'm not sure why it's running a 100/80. See pic below.

Can someone please help me determine what size tires would fit these rims (front and back)? If I need to go with a more aggressive dirt tire, that's fine. However, I'd still like the tire to be DOT legal.

Is my problem that I'm searching for a 110/80/17 for the front? Is this as simple as buying a 2.50 x 17" tire? I've never done this before, so excuse the newbie question.

Thanks
Attached Images