Thread: Hawk Talk
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #1075

The barking carb.

So, now that you have got your valve timings written down, perhaps the numbers don't correspond in any way, manner, shape, or form with the timing numbers that I gave you. Uh-oh, something is wrong. But what? The first thing I'd check would be if the pushrods are in the wrong holes. I don't know if this is even possible with this engine, but I'd check to see if it is possible, and I wouldn't take anybody's word that it is "impossible" until I checked it myself. What do I mean by the wrong hole? I mean if the intake valve pushrod got inadvertantly placed on the exhaust valve lifter, and the exhaust pushrod on the intake valve lifter. Can't happen? I've seen weirder things than this happen in assembly plants. One case that I remember happened at the Chrysler Windsor (Canada) plant. 318 engines suddenly were running rough. Excessive vibration. And unlike most vibration problems, it only got worse as the rpm went up. Gotta be a crankshaft problem, thinks genius#1. So they pull a bunch of vibro-massage engines out of the cars. Outside, after they come off of the assembly line. They lay the engines on their sides remove the vibration dampers and flywheels, and change crankshafts. No differance. Then they tear the heads off of one of the vibrators. Pistons are different from one side to the other. Yes, 7 to one on the left bank, 9.5 to one on the right bank. "Sabotage!" Of course it's sabotage, because that means we can place all of the blame on the employee, which is a lot cheaper than fixing the problem if it isn't the employees fault. and it wasn't. I turned out that the bins holding the pistons were miss-numbered from the engine plant. Great! We don't have to take the blame! Alright, you've checked, and the pushrods are where they are supposed to be. So what now? ARH For reading the never ending story.