Thread: Engine rebuild
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Hawk View Post
Yeah I agree I should have got a new engine. But I didn’t want to push it. Engine has about 8000 miles on it. I’ve had it for about 9 months and ride it to work every day most of that on freeway. First thing they said was I must not have broke in correctly or kept up with maintenance. This being the second engine I’ve made sure to keep up with it usually oil change every weekend and I did proper break in. This time I was going about 65 on freeway and it just died sounded like my exhaust was dragging but nope. I’m gonna try to get it running today or tomorrow and just rinse everything out with diesel real good. I’ll let y’all know how it goes
65mph = 110kmh on this pushrod engine on highway seems too much. I read somewhere that on this engines max speed for prolonged length of time is 80kmh. My bike fits into this frame - comfortable speed for the engine is about 60kmh, on 80kmh there are more noices, but kind of acceptable, and 100-110kmh I have driven it only for a few seconds, because I have bad feeling that the engine does not like it and it could blow.

About the engine washing, when I had gearbox problems, 2 years ago, when i split the case in half, I preassure washed it (everything was removed from the cases - just aluminium left), putting attention to the oil passages which go through engine block. I first degreased them, then pressure washed.