View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #85

It does make sense that it would be simple like that, but still I don't trust myself. I had contacted support @ tboltusa about the max advance in the 190 CDIs. They came back and said it was around 30 degrees at maximum, so I put a 27 degree max advance in the ignition table in the microsquirt and tapered it down from 27 at about 6krpm to 10 at 1krpm. That is what I was using when I got the BANGS from the attempted engine start.

I'm not out for maximum power on this engine; I don't want to tune the ignition table for max. timing before torque drop off, I just want a good amount of power without worrying about knocking, pinging, pre-ignition, or detonation.

Also, I was and still will be struggling with low-rpm erroneous spark firings. Anything below about 500rpm and I get lots of extra sparks not apparently correlating to any specific position on the engine. I'm guessing that is due in part to the crappy signal VR sensors can give when measuring low speeds, not to mention there was only one "point" of information per revolution on crank positioning.

I have been thinking about getting a toothed wheel cut to size and epoxying it to the flywheel/magneto where it won't be interfering with anything that is already there and using a hall effect sensor to detect crank speed. That would give up to 36 (35 really, the wheel has to have a missing tooth) points of timing information per 360 degrees of crank rotation. Even if that still resulted in fewer, bit still some erroneous sparks, I could then run the microsquirt in fuel only mode if I choose, as I would have a separate crank speed input for the ECU, independent from the one used by the CDI.

Don't worry you aren't sounding mean at all, just throwing ideas around.