View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #5

I ran Progressive shocks on race bikes for years. Race speeds were typically double to triple plus what I ride these days. Excellent adjustability and the progressive springs I used provided a soft ride over the small stuff and stiffened considerably to avoid bottoming on the big stuff. Such excessive capabilities are not necessary for me for a pleasant ride these days. That's kind of like spending $12,000 on composite framed competition bicycle to ride to school saving 16 pounds over a steel frame, with an 18 pound lock and chain to make sure it is there when you get back. For all out racing, Progressive is a good way to go. For most anything else, overkill.

I've always been able to find a spring shop wherever that could measure the rate and travel of a particular spring and manufacture a progressive spring for me that was a much smoother ride on the small stuff and provided the same, more, or less weight capacity before bottoming on the rough stuff, whichever I wanted. That's really all a progressive spring does, and since shock dampning is linear, a progressive spring will almost always by out of adjustment to the dampning. Again, for all out racing, a good way to go. Not much to gain at reasonable speeds.

However, the stock RX3 shock and spring is so superior to most anything short of a few premium bikes that cost 4 to 6 times as much I don't even see a progressive spring as a worthwhile investment, much less a Progressive shock. Especially on a motorcycle with such a stupid seat.