View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #48

I bought some new nuts for the exhaust manifold studs to replace the end-cap ones that came with the bike. I'll probably use two nuts per stud so I can make a jam nut and not have to worry (as much) about them coming loose.

I had to get a bit creative and unsymmetrical with the bolts and nuts I used to fasten the TB to the intake manifold. One side of the TB has the idle air mixture screw right behind the bolt hole, so you can't get a screw driver in there to turn a bolt, and the other side has the injector body right behind the bolt hole, with only enough to use a nut, not a bolt. So on one side of the TB, I have a standard hex-head bolt going through the TB bolt hole and threading into the intake manifold. On the other side I have a bolt with a ground-down head coming from the intake manifold through the TB bolt hole and threading into a nut that miracle-has-it just barely fits on the TB.

I had some fittings from a previous project that I can could use on this one. 4x 1/8 npt to 5/16 hose barb, 1x 1/8 npt street elbow, 1x 1/8 npt plug, 1x 1/8 npt bleed valve, 1x 1/8 npt female to female union, and 1x 1/8 npt 4-way fitting. As in the picture, I am going to have the 5/16 barbs on opposite ends of the 4-way, with the bleed valve on the top and either a plug or a street elbow + pressure gauge. I would like to be able to confirm that the fuel pump/regulator is indeed pumping and regulating and that my manifold-pressure-reference mod did something. I will be securing these hose barb fittings with clamps designed for fuel injection hose, NOT plain worm-drive clamps.

I also did a few small things. I don't know if this happens to other riders, but especially on this bike, with these controls, I am constantly accidentally tapping the horn when I move my thumb from the grip to the turn signal controls. I ground down the bit on the horn button that sticks out on the left side. Hopefully I won't unintentionally honk at so many people now. I also put a hose-retaining clip on the swing arm to hold the engine crankcase vent hose in place. However, the swing arm is going to move independently of the hose so I bent the hose clip so that the hose can still slide up and down in the clip, but not come out. Finally, I re-routed the clutch cable through a hole I drilled in the black plastic pieces on the back of the red trellis fairings. The clutch cable won't get as bent and squished between the tank fairing and the handlebars now.

I had a lot of pics to go with these topics, so I spread them out over the posts; the pictures I have posted in one post may not be written about in that particular post.
Attached Images