View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #22

Another plowing update;

What another miserable storm! I got up at 5 am hoping to get a jump on the 6 inches of snow before the change over to rain came to make it into a too heavy mess to move or push. I was too late by that point, it had been raining on the snow for some time I guess because it was heavy wet snow. I had a hard time even getting the Rhino out of the garage, I couldn't do it with the plow down, I had to raise it. Then I had a hard time trying to get it started for its first bite into the heavy wet mess. Thoughts of failure immediately swirled through my head, I can't even get started here for cripes sake??? It took a lot of my hard-headed stubbornness to keep at it before I finally made some progress with even getting started plowing. Once I got it going it was still very hard charging, it was such a workout for the Rhino, and my sanity too. This is the absolute worst kind of snow situation to have, the average homeowner snowblower would be stymied by this heavy wet crap, I know my blower couldn't have handled it.

At one point I was flying doing a cleanup swipe and I hit a piece of my Belgium block curb and it grabbed the edge of the plow and whipped both me and the Rhino around in a spin. It sure took me by surprise, I got off the Rhino to inspect the plow expecting to see it mangled or the mounting plate broken off the frame... But it all held together brilliantly, like it never even happened

That said, I still managed to get not only my big driveway done, but also my 80-year-old neighbors driveway both in under an hour and a half.