View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

National Ural Demo Day

Decided to put this here.

Today was National Ural Demo Day and the local Ural dealer partook. We had a heck of a snowfall last night but I took the Ural anyway. The roads were dicey, to say the least. It was a ride of trial and error just to find the right speed that allowed for something that felt like traction and the right gear to keep the engine from lugging. I ended up being the first one there, so I sat and had coffee with Randy for a while.

Folks started showing up about ten, the first being a young Indian couple. The demo unit was a 2018 Gear Up in a burnt orange metallic. Sharp. Randy's sales guy instructed the couple on the ins and outs of how to ride it. Then both asked me for some pointers. Basically, all I said was drive it like a snowmobile and don't bother putting your left foot down.

I was getting ready to leave when the youngsters came back after a half hour ride. The young lady ran into the shop to warm up and the guy told me that his upper arms were sore and the steering felt sketchy. I took a look and they were in 2wd. No diff, so steering can be a struggle.
Next pair were an older couple. I think there were six or eight more waiting for their turn, but I didn't stick around. Wanted to get home and finish digging out.

The ride back was on cleaner roads so I was able to do something that had some semblance to a speed limit. Downside was that the wind was picking up and the temp was dropping. It was getting pretty cold. 19F when I got home. And then I got stuck in my front yard. Snow was so deep that I floated the sidecar, which lifted the bike. No traction at all. Took me about a half hour to get myself dug out.
Last ride for the next two weeks.

Getting ready to head out.

At Randy's. Folks were impressed that I rode in.

Cute little SSR.

Selfie of me and my commie hat.

Randy also took a pic of my Ural and myself in that hat to send to IMWA.

Just another view of my sorry self stuck in my front yard.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts