Thread: $5895 for RX4
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
I can agree mostly with you on that, the wheel options wouldn't impact the bike retail much at all - either full alloy or wires wheel the prices do not change by very much not accounting for tyre costs.

Aluminium rims and strength, is steel always stronger then aluminium? or does it depend on the grade of aluminium?

SQWERT maybe the rims from the RX4 will suit your Roxy RX3 and the size is I think more what you are looking for etc (I know I can get some aluminium rims this size but I just don't know if the quality is right!)

Retail difference for wire or mag wheels is maybe $50 - $100 different and that mostly is the tyre choices Zongshen offer - I do not believe you should be forced to buy 2 sets to get the wheels you want, easily sold with that option open.
By weight, aluminum is stronger. By size, steel is stronger. Steels are alloys of iron, just like most all aluminum products are alloys of aluminum.

Steels tend to bend, aluminums tend to shatter. Steels can often be nursed home with minor damage. Aluminum may not even look damaged, then suffer a catastrophic failure on the way home. Steels generally are very resistant to wear. Aluminum generally is not. That is why engines with aluminum blocks often have steel bore liners, main and cam bearings, and valve guides.

Anywho, enough metallurgy class.

Please see if you can find out the details on the RX4 rims for the spoked wheels. Aluminum? 36 hole? 2.75-19 front? 4.00-17 rear? Can you get them? Could Roxy be so lucky?

I expect CSC will lean towards the dirt side, though: 2:15-19 front and 3.5-19 rear. They have surprised me several times listening to wishes people post, so nothing will surprise me. CSC will have a well thought decision for every choice they have. Since I will be running taller cross section tires, 3.00-19 front and 4.25-19 rear will be the big bike's ideal for highway.

Anywho, back in the 1970s with the first gas crunch, you could buy a very basic plain jane car for about $2000, new. Then, a passle of legislation limited the number of vehicles foreign builders can bring in. Dealers ordered everything with every option, and the lists prices doubled and tripled almost overnight because every car was loaded. The base cars were still $2000, but you couldn't buy one because they were no longer built.

Looks like CSC is doing something similar with the RX4. So, when comparing prices, look at the extras included from each importer. Seems to me rather stupid for people to be comparing CSC's products to other manufacturers that have a higher out-the-door price and significantly fewer extras on similar bikes. Kind of like the dummies criticizing the RX3 and RX4 advertised weights for being heavier than other bikes that did not have anywhere close to the same extras, like no bags or boxes, no skid plate, no windshield, etc., ad nauseum.

The Tourfella luggage upgrade alone on an RX3 is half the price difference between the RX3 and RX4. Throw in the triple disc brakes, bigger engine with significantly more power, bigger wheels and tires, etc., and the $5895 is very easy to justify.