View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #27

For those who were asking about the muffler issue, this is what he originally posted on another bike forum. In the end, CSC said he was right and refunded him, taking the bike back. After he filed a lawsuit.

The CSC TT250 China bike. Right away I noticed that it didn't have the usual EPA and noise approval stamping on the muffler, I thought it was a requirement but figured maybe there was some kind of exception so I kinda blew it off but it stayed in my head. I posted about it on the Chinariders forum and every reply has stated that theirs aren't labeled either-there are many different Chinese bikes & quads. Everyone on there says I'm smoking crack and it's not really a requirement just something that's done. Many also stated that they've never seen an OE muffler with a stamp on any bike where I've never seen one without, which is why this one drew my attention. I called CSC and the guy confirmed that they have done all the tests and been given EPA and CARB approval (California Air Resources Board) and says that the stamp and label don't have to be on there, it just has to be compliant.

After some research it appears that the Feds have no exceptions, any production bike destined for street use (and maybe off-road use too) must have a compliance stamped muffler as well as a compliance sticker on the bike's frame unless it's for export only or competition use only. Furthermore Ca., and maybe other states, have a state law saying that no production motorcycle can be on the road without these labels and that doing so earns you a citation. To clear the citation the bike must be made compliant as well as paying the penalty.

The chances of me getting busted for this is slim to none, but if I did there would be no way to make it compliant unless the manufacturer supplied me a frame sticker and a stamped muffler which they don't currently have. If this gets out and the importers get hit with penalties and compliance requirements I assume they'll just close their doors cuz it would be really expensive to fix this mistake. So I'm thinking that the smart move would be to demand a refund and return the bike before the potential of them getting busted and closing shop happens.

Thoughts?