View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 02:11 AM   #21

I did a ton of research about forest service requirements and contacted both our states DNR (Dept of Natural Resources) and the USFS for clarification. I told them I had a stock CSC RX3 which was street legal from the factory and licensed for street use. The response from the USFS is below. I know you were talking about the TT250 but his response makes it clear that ANY street legal stock bike is OK on USFS lands.

"Joe

Sorry for the long delay answering your question, however I am the new Spark Arrester Program Lead and I did not start working with the forest service until this month.

To try and answer your question, if your bike’s exhaust system is stock you are good. All OHVs sold in the states must meet Spark Arrestor requirements set forth by 36 CFR 261.52. If they are sold in the US they are and must be certified here in San Dimas, CA. Also you should not need to provide certification of your bike’s SA being present, there could be an exception but I am not sure or aware of an example. If you were to modify or remove your SA, and not replace it was a 36 CFR 261.52 approved SA, you could be liable in the event you caused a fire.

So I believe as long as your motorcycle is stock, you’re just fine to ride. Get out there and enjoy those FS and state lands, I know I do."