Thread: Headshake?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
What I haven't seen mentioned is bead seating of the tires, both front & rear.

Easily checked with each wheel in turn up off the ground and spun while watching the sides of the tread to see if the tire is running concentric, the beads properly seated in the rims.

A wheel/tire assembly can be in balance with the tire not properly seated, which moves a bit from side to side, inducing a wobble in the forks.

If one or both don't run true, just deflate, lube (soapy water) and inflate to seat, then reinspect.

Good luck.
Jay,
You might be onto something with this. I put the bike up on the center stand and sat in front of the bike. I closed one eye and spun the front tire while focusing on a spot on the ground at the edge of the tire. As the tire spun, the space between the spot and the tire increased, then decreased to the point where the spot was covered, then it showed up again and the gap increased back to where it started, and this repeated as the wheel completed more revolutions. It wasn’t a huge change, but I was able to note something.

Sometime between tonight and tomorrow, I should get a chance to try to reseat this thing. Hopefully this will solve my issue.

BTW, is your signature a reference to that James Garner movie Support Your Local Sheriff?