View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
I get my oil info from a chemical engineer who spent 40 years working for a major oil supplier known for their high quality. He analyzed competitors' oils to see what they were up to. Let me sum up his advice:

1: Break in oil--use any brand name dyno oil of the appropriate weight with a motorcycle or wheeler on the label;
2: Cheap "synthetics" aren't synthetic, just extra highly filtered dyno oil, such as Rotella, which is a very high quality dyno oil, better than cheap dyno oils, not as good as real synthetics, and some varieties will lunch your motorcycle engine or clutch--14 different types of Rotella, which one is right 40 your bike?????;
3: Real synthetic oils are specialty products that cost more than Rotella. Again look for the motorcycle or wheeler on the label, than check it meets builders recommendations.
Thanks for the insight - I have used AMSOIL in my previous bikes after break-in and was always happy it. I know this subject can be a touchy one - everyone seems to have a strong opinion on it.