Thread: Headshake?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

Headshake?

When I first got my RX3 (2018 model), I noted that at speeds at and above 35 MPH, the front seemed to do this quick bouncing thing – maybe 5 times per second or so. It felt like it might have smoothed out a little bit by 45MPH and I couldn’t take it much faster than that because I am RPM limited in my break-in period. I pulled the front wheel, put it on a static balancer and noted it was out of balance. I balanced it, reinstalled and then went for a ride this morning. Interestingly, it seems to be a bit better, but I was still noting an issue – a bouncy feeling. Then at 45MPH, I tried taking my hands off of the handlebars and they started oscillating back and forth very quickly. When I grabbed the bars again, the oscillation stopped, but I was feeling that bouncy feeling through them – maybe what I thought was bouncing was really this oscillation all along? I don’t know.

This was my first time balancing a wheel, but I’m pretty sure I got it right – maybe I solved part of the problem, or maybe I solved a different one with that. I haven’t checked the rear wheel balance – could that be the culprit at this point? Can I just have a bad front tire maybe? Anything else I should check?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.