View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #26

Carrier and Tie Down

I have a maybe 20 year old steel carrier that has the angle at one end to keep the forward motion stopped. I had toyed with the idea of one of the aluminum ones as this steel thing is heavy, but now I am glad I stuck with it. I have also read reviews of the HF aluminum ones where flexing is an issue; doesn't happen with this steel behemoth.

I have carried my dirt bike or a Honda 250 Nighthawk behind my RV a lot and use a procedure like Emrikol outlined where I use one tie down to hold it in place and gently lean it against the back of the RV, then cinch both down in progression. I probably put 3,000 miles on it including carrying a 250 Nighthawk to Yellowstone and back with no incidents. My only concern is cranking down the front might sag the fork springs so I loosen it up at night (BRIGHT POST IT NOTE on the sunvisor to remember to tighten it up in the morning before traveling again.).

Kind of OT but one of the reasons I bought my TT250 was the weight. At a little over 300 pounds it's manageable to handle by myself onto the carrier and not too bad on the back of a 10,000 pound motorhome,
same reason I bought the Nighthawk (wish I'd never sold it!).