View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 05:05 AM   #25

TeamCheap

TeamCheap, we must be related ?
Your probably saying heck no , how could that be, oh the humanity !!!
I used to submerge my chain, still do actually on the Norton , in degreaser first, then in Bardhal cycle oil , heated up on my BBQ lightly over easy for ten minutes , let sit overnight to absorb into the metal molecules , wipe off and were good to go for another 10,000 miles. I throw my chain away at 10,000 along with my two sprockets and my Metzler Tires . Now thats anal retentive, but it makes this fine machine what it is , safe . I only get 10,000 miles out of my chain or tires or sprockets on the bike anyway . Yes, it has that much torque , 923cc and I race it hard on the road .

I hope IDcountryboy1 doesn't get confused about all the advice on these chains, or thinks he needs an O-Ring chain either . I have seen them break on many a Drag Harley from Torque . I personally won't buy an O-ring because of it, but that's just MHO of course. Overrated and overpriced as they are also . You cannot re-invent the mousetrap man, a good chain is all he needs , not an O-ring chain per say .

I wish too his bikes had chain oilers like the Norton has . Would make it a simple thing for him to keep it lubed up all the time . I still add lube to my chain, but that's just me. My bikes are very oily in the rear-end . Lube man lube !!!!!!!

Cheers brother . I had to laugh when I read your post about your oil bath That's really not a bad way to do it with the standard chains anyway . My Dad showed me that one on his Norton way back in the day . That's just one good way to get the oil molecules into metal . You don't want to dis-temper the darn chain of course with too much heat, but a little heat will open molecules . Heck, he was a Jet Mechanic for the Air-Farce , so he knows how that works obviously . He told me they used to do the same thing with the GE Chain Gun machine gun chains in overhaul in Veitnam . I know its worked for me for my entire life, no chain failures , period . I have lost a master link clip, then the chain once, but never broke a chain ??? That must take some doing ? Or BAD maintenance and no lube, or not enough lube .

Good luck agian IDcountryboy1 , I am sure your learning the lesson by now on all this stuff .

Cheers, Kelly5150