View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
trouble finding or getting a few discs made - my Chinese top and I mean top mechanic is sourcing 1 from his Malasian supplier and I hope to see something end of next week.
My AIm is a 300-320mm rotor maybe stock caliper but CNC bracket or 4 piston caliper and direct push mater cyliner
NO ONE in China wants to make 5 - 10 discs only 50 - 400 pieces and I don't think the market is that big.
I have the software to draw anything I can dream up short of drilling around curves. I have access to a CNC tool and die shop, one that makes the tools used in automotive production to manufacture parts to ZERO tolerance. Such parts have to be stored a minimum amount of time at a specific temperature before measuring or the specs will be all out of whack. They also make tools and dies for most every commercial engine manufacturer in the U. S. of A. Go to the dentist, you will not see the company's name on the dental tools and machines, but rest assured in most of the world the tools and machines with which you are ground upon were more than likely created on machinery hand built in the shop I make my odd parts. Finest in the world. About the only finished products coming out of this shop are fulfilling a very old government contract--witness blocks. Witness blocks are used to test the terminal characteristics of things like warheads and ammunition, say, guided missiles from your typical tank or rocket launcher. Interesting products to watch in service, especially if you get to analyze the outcomes.

I made rotors and caliper mounts for my homebuilt airplane. No, nobody wants to make just a few rotors. Though rotors look like flat steel with a few holes machined, the tolerances are substantially more critical than most, so the hassles are exceedingly greater. Also, rotors must be made of an alloy that exhibits some modicum of corrosion resistance or they become quite jerky quite quickly and wear rapidly. Rotors must also be able to dissipate heat extremely well. Rotors must also resist degradation from rapid temperature changes, say, from riding in a 70mph breeze at freezing temps down a mountain road to glowing red hot from trying to stop before hitting a bear, then sprayed with icy water only kept from freezing solid by its motion. Missed the bear, though. Remember, if ever there is a bear in the road, aim for its butt because if the bear moves that will be the first place it vacates most of the time.

The tight clearances are difficult to machine on alloys tough enough to be brake rotors. Not a picnic.