View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #9

I have both a TT 250 and RX3 . I have a 42 mile one way commute of which about 12 miles is hard packed dirt, rocks, and gravel. No highway to speak of but do have 2 lane paved county roads for the balance of the commute. I alternate between the tt and rx.

I'm 5'10" 32" inseam. I have the tall seat option on the RX. No mods other than some LED lights and exhaust on the TT.

Both bikes are very capable on gravel and dirt roads and even some less well maintained forest service roads I've taken both bikes on. Both bikes have their pluses and minuses.

I like the RX carrying capacity with luggage. It's more comfortable to me, has some wind protection and is better on pavement. I do have Kenda 270's on the RX which are more aggressive than stock tires. The bike is heavier but the weight is well distributed and low so there are really no issues with weight unless you have to pick the bike up. I also find the RX to be less viby than the TT. My hands get tingly on the TT after 42 miles, the RX not so much. From a maintenance perspective, valve adjustments would be the only slight down side. Although after you do a couple they seem to go much easier.

The TT is, as noted, much lighter and does handle much better than the RX in the dirt, especially deeper loose gravel and sandy areas. I have a set of inexpensive nelson rigg saddlebags to handle storage needs and camping gear when the need arises. The TT does a have pretty comfy seat for a dirt oriented bike. If you intend to do more trail riding then the TT is the better option. It has much better ground clearance. The bike is hammer simple to work on. Rejetting the carb for altitude took a little trial and error.

Can't help you on your choice. They are both great bikes and a great value either way you go.