View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
A 2 inch shorter shock might lower the bike 3 inches, just as an example.
Actually 40mm in the shock will get you 2" in the seat. It's a touchy thing for sure.

Also remember the idea is to not spend a ton of money on a bike, or we would all be riding brand new japanese bikes. So cheap chinese and used parts are the way to go. Chinese shocks are cheap, real cheap, so you can just try one and if ya hate it put the original back on. Surprisingly I pounded the heck out of one in the heavy whoops, and it never let go I was pleasantly surprised with the quality.

Id honestly avoid lowering the front as I feel it will exasurbate the geometry issues the bike allready has. My expertise is admittadly limited, but I have done an awfull amount of work on the hawk suspension, I probly know more about what don't work than anyone, Maybe.

Id hack my seat too but I havent seen one that didn't look wonkey to me after the mod, except for slicing the hump off the back, that seems to be workable, and Id love to be able to slide back there without running into the hump.

Also if you think about it you wont loose any travel in the rear, fact is there is far more height or clearance than travel. Youll bottom the shock way before anything touches the tire.