Thread: The New CJ650
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I think that there should be some kind of proportioning valve between the motorcycle brakes and the sidecar brake to eliminate that problem.
There was an anvil-simple device like that on the early Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable. It used a rod that pointed at the rear control arm (since they had independent rear suspension), and as the suspension compressed, it pushed on the rod and allowed more brake fluid pressure to the rear wheels. IOW, if you loaded up the trunk with luggage, the valve would be opened more for improved rear braking. If there was only one person in the car with nothing in the trunk, rear brake pressure was minimized. It was a good system that provided consistent braking, despite load. Something like that could be adapted to a hack.

The option would be to use an adjustable proportioning valve, like that which Wilwood makes. You could adjust it according to the load in the side car. Some panic testing in a deserted area would help you dial it in.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer