View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #19

Most folks will think you're a fool for putting money in a worn out XT250. But it fits.

CB550, 1976 models, fit me. I ride 2, 1 hooligan, 1 tourer. Both have 712cc engines and will smoke a SOHC 750 since the real displacement difference is only 13ccs, but the weight difference is about 70 pounds. The 550s handle lots better, especially with modern tires.

TW200s, with a seat cover and taller bars fit me. I have 4. 1 is a stock engine, nothing but a main jet and o-ring chain, riding errands on the JDM tires or a spare set of wheels with stock rear and Kenda K760 on the front.

2nd shares the stock US market Bridgestone rear and a K760 or K270, depending on the dirt/pavement ratio. Nothing stock about this one, set up for ADV, luggage, lights, tools, first aid, not too radical 276cc with about the same max as a RX3 broken in well, but more off idle, XT225 6 speed and clutch, Delphi EFI, triple discs, and built to last.

3rd, is for gnarly offroad day trips, stock rear on the front, 27-7.50-12 Interco tractor tread ATV tire rear, discs front and rear, same 276cc engine and trans as the ADV bike.

4th is a café racer, radical 276cc with 38mm Mikuni, triple discs, rearsets, drag bars, composite wheels, sticky Pirellis, not built to last, about 35hp. Super quick on curvy roads. My 107 pound wife embarrassed everyone except a scrawny dude on a MV Augusta 1000 on Tail Of A Dragon on summer afternoon after a quick shower sent all the TN cops for doughnuts and a warm sun quickly dried the road. NC state line to Tab Cat Creek and back, about 22 miles, 600+ curves, in about 18 minutes.

These 6 bikes probably represent close to $70K over 20 years including purchase price, parts, accessories, machine work, and contracted specialty work like reworking seats. Really, about $3500 a year isn't nearly what some folks spend on Budweiser! A case a day runs about twice that, that's what I've been told.

Next project is a 1972 XR750 Harley. Already have 1 in showroom condition, bought as a backup but never raced, just used for spare parts. A 2nd is a XR-TT roadrace version--only a couple dozen made by Harley, this one built from parts. Next build will be a EFI ADV version with triple