View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #15

There's definitely something to be said that its more about the rider than the bike - I've seen folks on small bikes beat the piss out of lesser riders on big bikes more times than I can count.

I sadly have fallen into the same camp wit the RX3 as well and it will go up for sale. After truly testing the machine on the MABDR, I've come to the conclusion that there is too much 'wrong' with the bike to make it a true off-road ADV machine when it comes to my riding style and the ergonomics I need on a machine to make it fit my purpose.

Height is number one - can't put the tires on I need as it lifts up the bike too high and I won't sacrifice the already poor suspension with a lowering link. The stock tires continually washed out in muddy or loose gravel situations making hairpins off-road downright terrifying.

Gearing is next - in low speed situations, even with going down one tooth on the front sprocket, the bike does not have enough testicular fortitude to get me through tough spots (left me stranded when it stalled in a rocky deep stream crossing).

Ergonomics - the bike does not have ergos that meet the requirements of my body dimensions. Pegs too far back and bars to far forward (not enough cable length for me to get the proper body position (I'd need 2"). My back was continually arched and painful when standing on the pegs off-road.

Suspension - while the suspension did 'break in' somewhat on the 2300+ mile MABDR journey - it still beat me up and left me feeling like someone took a baseball bat to me at the end of each day off-road. My XT250 has been on similar trips and has never done that to me once.

Despite what I've mentioned previously, this bike is not all bad - just not ideal for the purpose I purchased it for. The one place where it did impress me was handling on the road, given its anemic power level, the bike handles beautifully on the tar - my ride back home from the end of the MABDR was mostly twisty tar and the RX3 cut it up very nicely. And, it withstood a 50 mph deer strike without damage - thank you engine guards! The flickability, comfort level, windscreen coverage, and Seat Comcepts seat, along with charging ports, and ample pannier storage makes this bike a great little commuter and for those seeking a bike for that purpose, it remains an excellent value.

I've put a lot into the bike already - most of which I will lose every penny of and more due to the low resale on these machines - but I knew that going in. I've learned much from my two year experiment with Rex and appreciate the great level of customer service along the way from CSC and the phenomenal inputs from my friends on this forum and others for the RX3. I hope to find him a new owner soon who will enjoy him for the purpose he is best suited for.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius