View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #14

With all due respect, you guys need to learn to ride. I've seen an indicated 90+mph on my RX3. Down hill, tailwind, and I weigh about 218.

Back in my younger and dumber days I was radared and stopped in Georgia on a TW200 doing 84mph. Stock other than main jet and final drive. I weighed 285 then. Fortunately, the LEO had a TW of his own and said he would have felt guilty writing that ticket. Said anyone who could get 84mph out of a stock TW engine knows how to ride that fast safely. Oh, tailwind, downhill, right behind a semi truck. That was about 3/4 of the way through a SS1000.

Passed all the folks who didn't wait for me on I10 on the same TW, hanging on some mudflaps. Easily tooling along about 80mph. Talk about priceless looks on riders' faces.

Just have to learn to prep a bike for a specific challenge and master a few advanced riding techniques. There's more to making speed than just twisting a throttle.

Did you know that at speed in heavy traffic the apparent wind is more dependent on the traffic than on the atmospheric conditions? Tooling along about 70mph on the same TW amongst traffic, half the cars turned off to I35E, and speed immediately dropped to about 60--not enough cars to keep the wind heading north at ground level. Also had a bunch of cars merge 5 lanes into 4 at 70mph, and tooling along in the 2nd lane that old TW jumped from about 55 to about 70 because more cars were enough to push the ground level air masses the direction we were going.

Pay attention--it isn't that hard to figure out what air will do with changes in traffic. Take advantage of air patterns and grade. Makes a big difference sometimes.